Tory Lanez is being investigated by the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office due to allegations that the rapper allegedly assaulted the singer August Alsina following a concert in Chicago on the weekend, Billboard is reporting.
In the early hours of Sunday morning, Alsina posted a photo of himself on Instagram where he could be seen in an elevator, with blood gushing from his mouth. As the caption states, Alsina says Lanez physically beat him when the singer refused to shake his hand after the show on Saturday night.
“We are aware of the allegations that the defendant attacked artist August Alsina and are investigating these claims,” said the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office in a statement sent to Billboard. “The allegations are serious and will be thoroughly examined.”
Lanez who is known as Daystar Peterson is currently on bail after being accused for shooting Megan Thee Stallion during an argument that took place after an evening of pool held in Hollywood Hills in July 2020. The rapper also faces an accusation of possessing a firearm that is connected to the incident.
A video that was posted on Twitter on Monday claiming to show the build-up as well as the aftermath assault is believed to reveal Alsina refusing to shake hands with Lanez on stage. In the last part of the video Lanez appears to be celebrating , as the man who is off camera is heard saying that Lanez “knocked him out.”
According to the Chicago Police Department tells Billboard they received a complaint of one “30-ye[a]r-old male” being “punched in the face by a 30-year-old male after exiting a building in the 2300 block of S. Lake Shore Drive” on Saturday , at around 11:30 p.m. The police would not confirm the identity of the two suspects in the incident, according to Chicago P.D. policy. The location mentioned in the report is an Arie Crown Theater, where both Lanez and Alsina were scheduled for a performance at comic Rip Michaels’ Fall Back in Love Comedy & Music Jam on Saturday. Detectives are currently looking into the issue.
A lawyer for Lanez has not yet responded to the Billboard’s request for clarification however Lanez himself has denied he had a rift with Alsina in an interview on podcaster Akademics in the early hours of Sunday. “Nothing happened. I’m not sure exactly what this child is discussing, bro,” said the rapper in a video posted to YouTube. When asked again to confirm if he had been involved, Lanez said, “No, hell no! I’m not sure if he’s performing this for promotion. I’m not sure what this”n—” has been talking about. but bruh.”
It’s not an unusual situation. Lanez is legally in hot water since being charged for the shooting that took place in July. The incident occurred in August of 2021. his bail was raised from $190,000 to $250,000 after he made a an appearance in the Rolling Loud Miami Festival on July 25 just a few minutes after Stallion was removed from the stageand thus infringing on a safety order that required that he remain at least 100 feet from Stallion “Savage” hitmaker. In April of this year an judge increased the bail to $350,000 following a series posts on social media by the rapper content was found to violate the court order requiring him to not have all contact with Stallion.
Lanez is awaiting his trial for the trial. If convicted, he will face up to 22 years behind bars.