Pentagon says it will continue to provide all necessary information
President-elect Biden said many US security services had been “devastated” under President Trump and the lack of necessary information provided to his transition team by the outgoing administration was “irresponsible”.
“We have encountered obstruction from the political leadership at the Department of Defense and at the Office of Management and Budget,” Biden said after meeting with his foreign policy team.
“We are not getting all the information we need from the outgoing administration in key areas of national security. In my view, this is nothing short of irresponsible,” he added.
After Biden defeated Trump in the November 3 election, the former US vice-president’s team only began meeting with administration officials in late November to agree on the handover.
Earlier this month, Biden’s team said it faced opposition to its requests for information from some Pentagon officials.
The Defence Department has rejected the Biden team’s previous complaints. Last week, a senior Defense Department official said the Pentagon had already held 163 meetings and responded to 181 requests for information. The US defence establishment will continue to cooperate with Biden’s transition team.
“We have encountered obstacles from the political leadership of this agency (Pentagon). And the truth is that many agencies that are critical to our security have suffered tremendous damage,” Biden said after meeting with his foreign policy team. “Many agencies that are critical to our security have suffered tremendous damage. Many of them have been devastated: staff shortages, capacity constraints and declining morale.”