Coronavirus in the world: Trump for freedom on the issue of masks, Barcelona is quarantined again

US President Donald Trump said that there should be “some freedom” in the matter of wearing masks. Barcelona is again partially quarantined, and Spanish director Pedro Almodovar began filming in Madrid, a city that was one of the centers of the spread of COVID-19.

On Fox News, Trump spoke out against the introduction of mandatory masks across the country. “I want people to have a certain freedom, and I don’t believe in that,” the president said in response to a question whether he intends to issue a decree on a mask regime in the United States.

Trump’s statements came after US chief epidemiologist Anthony Fauci urged state leaders to “do their best to convince” people to wear masks. Now, in most states, wearing a mask outside the home is mandatory.

“Powerful weapon”

Donald Trump himself refused to wear a mask, but last Saturday he first appeared in it in public.

Earlier this week, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a statement urging everyone to follow the mask regimen. “Masks are our most powerful weapon to prevent the spread of Covid-19, especially when used by everyone in the community.”

It is already known that schools in the United States will not open in late August-September.

The United States has suffered from the coronavirus pandemic much more than all countries in the world: according to the latest data, there are more than 3.6 million cases and more than 139 thousand deaths.

Now the infection is actively spreading in Texas and California. Military medical teams with equipment, including trucks for transporting bodies, were sent there to help the doctors.

Quarantine in Barcelona

Meanwhile, in Barcelona – the capital of Spanish Catalonia and a popular tourist city – quarantine restrictions are again in effect from Saturday. Due to the increase in the number of infected, the mayor of Ada Colau imposed a ban on gathering in groups of more than 10 people.

At the same time, the authorities did not introduce a full lockdown, but recommended that people not leave their homes unless absolutely necessary. These recommendations will affect over four million people.

Residents are encouraged to shop online, and cultural and sports activities will be limited. At the same time, museums will remain open.

The number of new Covid-19 cases in Barcelona has skyrocketed since last week. EFE reports that 1226 cases have been recorded in Catalonia over the past day, of which 894 are in Barcelona and the surrounding areas (with 349 new patients in the city itself).

Spain is one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus in Europe. The total number of cases here amounted to more than 260 thousand people, more than 28 thousand patients died.
Madrid: first coronavirus filming

Meanwhile, some of the first filming since the outbreak of the pandemic began in Madrid.

Producer Agustin Almodovar tweeted a photo of his brother, director Pedro Almodovar, and actress Tilda Swinton from the first day of filming the short film The Human Voice.

The director in the mask, the actress holds a screen in her hand to protect her face.

Filming was originally scheduled for April, when the epidemic was in full swing.

The script of the film is based on a one-act play for one actress Jean Cocteau, the plot of which is based on a woman’s telephone conversation with her former lover on the eve of his wedding.

Britain: £ 3bn for NHS

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has pledged a return to normalcy in the country by Christmas. To ensure that the situation is normalized, local councils were empowered to close houses, streets, districts or even entire cities for quarantine in the event of a rapid increase in the number of cases.

This “lighter version of quarantine,” Johnson said, “will allow you to respond more quickly to outbreaks because speed is paramount.”

Meanwhile, the government is set to allocate another £ 3bn to the national health system to prepare for a second wave of coronavirus in Britain.

Scientists expect the virus to become more dangerous in the winter and could claim up to 120,000 lives. This figure appears in a study commissioned by the government’s chief scientific adviser, Patrick Vallance.