Over the past two months – amidst a coronavirus pandemic, quarantine and crisis – the world’s 25 richest people have grown by $255 billion
“The super rich are even richer than they were two months ago. The 25 wealthiest people on the Forbes list have grown by $255 billion since March 23, when the U.S. stock market reached its lowest level since the beginning of the pandemic,” the publication says.
Together, these 25 people hold almost $1.5 trillion worth of capital (about 16% of the world’s billionaires).
Facebook’s founder, Mark Zuckerberg, has been the richest in the last two months – $31 billion. The shares of the social network have grown by almost 60%. This allowed him to rise from 7th to 4th place in the ranking. At the moment the state of Zuckerberg is estimated at $86.5 billion.
Amazon’s founder and CEO, Jeff Bezos, is in second place. Thus, since March 23, Amazon shares have risen by 29%. At the close of trading on Friday, the state of Bezos was estimated at $ 146.9 billion, an increase of $ 30 billion (26%) from March 23.
The biggest increase in percentage terms was recorded by Colin Zheng Huang, founder of Pinduoduo, the second largest online store in China after Alibaba. The company created a “social shopping” model during the pandemic, where users can share online shopping with friends and family. In addition, a discount campaign was launched. As a result, Pinduoduo shares have almost doubled in price since March 23, and Colin Zheng Huang has become richer by $ 17.9 billion.
Indian businessman Mukesh Ambani, who was recognized as the richest man in Asia, also got rich. In April he made a deal with Facebook, which is to invest $5.7 billion in Reliance Jio, a television company that is part of a conglomerate founded by Ambani’s father. In addition, Ambani attracted other investments (in total the company attracted $10 billion). Now the state of Ambani is estimated at $52.7 billion.
As Forbes stresses, none of the 25 richest people have become poorer since March 23. This situation contrasts sharply with unemployment data in the U.S., where 39 million people (about a quarter of the U.S. labor force) applied for benefits.
TOP 25 richest people in the world according to Forbes:
- Jeff Bezos, USA. Condition – $146.9 billion, growth of $29.9 billion.
- Founder of Microsoft Bill Gates, USA. A fortune of $106.5 billion, up $11.9 billion.
- President of Louis Vuitton Moët Hennessy Group Bernard Arnault, France. Condition – $94.1 billion, growth of $12.8 billion.
- Mark Zuckerberg, USA. Condition – $86.5 billion, growth of $31.4 billion.
- American investor and entrepreneur Warren Buffett, USA. Condition: $69.2 billion, up $6 billion.
- Co-founder, Chairman of the Board of Directors of Oracle Corporation Larry Ellison, USA. Status: $66.4 billion, up $10.4 billion.
- Former CEO of Microsoft, Steve Ballmer, USA. Condition: $65.4 billion, up $14 billion.
- Co-founder of Google, Larry Page, USA. Condition: $63.6 billion, up $14.2 billion.
- Founder of Google Sergey Brin, USA. Status: $61.3 billion, up $13.7 billion.
- Amancio Ortega, Spain. The company’s fortune is $60.5 billion, up $5.2 billion. The source of wealth is the Zara trade network.
- Heir to the Walmart fortune is Jim Walton, USA. The state is $55.2 billion, up $3.6 billion.
- Daughter of Walmart founder Alice Walton, USA. Alice Walton, daughter of Walmart founder Alice Walton, USA.
- Rob Walton, USA. Condition is $54.8 billion, up $3.6 billion.
- Françoise Betancourt Meyers, France. The state is estimated at $54.2 billion, up $6.4 billion. The source of wealth is L’Oréal.
- Mukesh Ambani, India. The company’s fortune is $52.7 billion, up $19.9 billion.
- Carlos Slim Elu, Mexico. The state is $51.2 billion, up $4.2 billion. The source of wealth is the telecommunications sector.
- Mackenzie Bezos, USA. Former wife of Jeff Bezos. Her fortune is $47.8 billion, an increase of $10.4 billion.
- Founder and Chairman of Tencent Ma Huateng, China. He has a fortune of $46.4 billion, up $6.8 billion.
- Founder of Alibaba Grou Jack Ma, China. The company’s fortune is $41.3 billion, up $3 billion.
- Co-founder of Nike Phil Knight, USA. Condition: $37.7 billion, up $9.9 billion.
- Founder of SpaceX and Tesla Ilon Mask, USA. He is the founder of SpaceX and Tesla, Ilon Mask, USA. His fortune is $36.7 billion, up $9.5 billion.
- Colin Zheng Huang, China. His fortune – $35.6 billion, growth of $17.9 billion. His source of income is online trading.
- François Pinot, France. His fortune is $31.8 billion, an increase of $2.1 billion. His source of wealth is luxury goods. So, Pinault bought the auction house Christie’s, engaged in the sale of Antiques and objects of art. In addition, he owns a winery in Bordeaux, ski resorts, football club “Rennes” and others.
- Sheldon Adelson, USA. He has a fortune of $30.7 billion, an increase of $1.4 billion. The source of his wealth is the casino.
- Dell’s founder and CEO, Michael Dell, USA. His fortune is $28.3 billion, up $3.5 billion.