U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation officials are conducting additional checks of National Guard fighters to determine whether some of them may pose a threat in connection with the inauguration of U.S. President-elect Joseph Biden, the Associated Press reported, citing sources in the U.S. Department of Defense.
U.S. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy previously instructed unit chiefs who will be on duty Jan. 20 to conduct additional personnel checks.
“We have not stopped monitoring this and are doing double, triple checks on the people involved in this operation,” the military commander noted.
So far, he said, no threats have been identified by members of the National Guard. Nevertheless, the FBI has decided to conduct its own additional vetting of the personnel. According to the AP, the process began as early as last week. A former agency official told reporters that in such cases, the bureau checks fighters’ names against internal databases, identifying their possible ties to extremists, establishing criminal records and other facts worthy of attention. The relevant measures were taken against the backdrop of the riots that were staged by Donald Trump supporters in the U.S. capital on January 6.
Earlier it was reported that before the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, some mailboxes were temporarily removed in many major American cities for security purposes.