In the Hillsborough County, Florida, they confirmed a case of human infection with the rare amoeba Negleria Fowler eating his brain, reports the BBC.
Microscopic unicellular amoeba causes an infection of the brain and is fatal. Usually it is found in warm fresh water, and enters the body through the nose. The Florida Department of Health did not indicate exactly where the infection occurred, but it is clarified that this is not about transmission from person to person.
Since 1962, only 19 cases of infection with this amoeba have been reported in Florida. However, officials urged local residents to avoid nasal contact with tap water and other sources – lakes, rivers, ponds, and canals. Those infected have fever, nausea, vomiting, neck swelling, and headaches. Most infected die within a week.
People who experience these symptoms are encouraged to seek medical attention because the disease progresses rapidly. In the period from 2009 to 2018, 34 cases of infection with this amoeba were recorded in the United States.