The United States showed a fairly responsible approach by separating the extension of the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START, unofficial name – START-3) from other problems in bilateral relations. Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov said.
“It’s good that in this particular case people in Washington are still guided by the question, excuse me, flies separate and cutlets separate,” the diplomat said.
Ryabkov stressed that the extension of the missile treaty gives the parties another five years to negotiate on the future of arms control. “The Russian side is fully ready for this and urges its American colleagues to join such negotiations without any hesitation, as soon as they have formed a relevant negotiating team, to accept our proposal,” he said.
Ryabkov said earlier on Wednesday that Russia had agreed to extend the missile treaty on its own terms – the document would be extended for five years. He said this would give time for in-depth talks with Washington on strategic security. Later, the State Duma ratified the agreement to extend the treaty.