The U.S. is not going to extend the START Treaty in its current form

The U.S. is not going to extend the START Treaty in its current form

President’s special envoy thinks the treaty is a bad deal for the U.S.

The administration of U.S. President Donald Trump has no plans to extend the Treaty on Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms (START) in its current form.

This was stated by Marshall Billingsley, the U.S. President’s Special Representative for Arms Control, during a conversation with experts from the Foundation for Defense of Democracies.

The speech was posted on the organization’s website Wednesday night.

“We’re not interested in simply extending the Treaty on Measures for the Further Reduction and Limitation of Strategic Offensive Arms. This treaty, as I said, barely made it through the Senate,” Billingsley said. – The reason is that it’s a bad deal for the United States. The agreement covers 90% of the American arsenal and at the same time only 40% of the Russian arsenal.

To extend the treaty, the U.S. will insist that it cover all Russian systems that are currently excluded from it.

“We’ve explained to the Russians that we’re not going to make our NATO allies vulnerable, we’re not going to endanger American citizens living in Europe,” Billingsley said.

The Trump administration had previously proposed expanding the treaty to include China, but Beijing rejected the idea.

U.S. President-elect Joseph Biden advocated for extending the current treaty during the campaign.

The START Treaty will expire on February 5, 2021.