The United States left the body in 2018 under President Trump
The United States will seek election to the U.N. Human Rights Council later this year, U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said Wednesday.
In a video message to council members, Blinken said President Joe Biden’s administration will work to eliminate what he called a “disproportionate focus” on U.S. ally, Israel, in the activities of this Geneva forum.
The U.S. withdrew from the council under President Donald Trump in June 2018, but Biden’s government returned there as an observer earlier this month.
“I am pleased to announce that the U.S. will seek election to the Human Rights Council for a term from 2022 to 2024. We are asking all UN member states to support our bid to return to this body,” Blinken said.
The annual election for the three-year, 47-member council is scheduled to take place at the U.N. General Assembly in October. The current council consists of Britain, China and Russia.